Cutting out the familiar

Why/how am I still awake at 02:51 considering I climbed Snowdon yesterday? My body is still aching (my butt especially) yet, somehow, I'm wide awake.




I guess I've got a lot on my mind. A few weeks ago, a friend contacted me to confess that she's currently involved with a guy that I dated about a year or so ago. Now, I'm not writing this post to speak ill of her, but as the weeks have gone by I've come to the realisation that I'm actually pretty hurt over the whole situation. I can't quite understand exactly why though. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I was so hung up on this guy and I used to consistently confide in said friend with my sincerest emotions. So in a sense, rather than having any bitterness towards her or her actions, I think I'm a little mad at myself for being so trusting.



What I've learnt from this situation is how to simply forgive others who have upset you (intentionally or not) and to accept that not everyone will have the same heart as you. I refuse to carry a grudge and be weighed down by this situation, instead I'm actually going to perceive it as a blessing in disguise. For as long as I can remember I've always struggled with acceptance. By 'acceptance' I'm referring to 'cutting out' the individuals that don't necessarily help me grow spiritually. The people that actually stop me from reaching my potential. Please pardon any arrogant undertones that may be coming through here as that really isn't my intention for this post. Sometimes we just get so warped up with the comforts of familiarity that it's almost impossible to let some people go, but we can be so oblivious to the fact that by letting them stay in our lives, we're actually causing so much harm to ourselves and our own wellbeing. 

I've accepted that my friend was in my life for as long as God had intended for her to be and she did teach me so many lessons during our friendship. For that, I'll always be grateful.


Just incase you're wondering why I've included these pictures of Snowdonia, it's purely because being immersed in nature truly allows me to feel the majestic presence of God. I just feel so free even when I'm just looking at these shots in bed. 

It's a new month. I just need to breathe and keep staying focused on the incredibly wonderful family, friends and blessings that God has surrounded me with.


Ruth X 


1 comment:

  1. You're such a kind soul! Forgiveness is vital in all healing processes and you're right, sometimes people can hinder our spiritual growth. I'm so glad to read a real experience of choosing to love and forgive when you had every right to hold on to being hurt xx

    ReplyDelete