Courgette and Lime Cake

Happy Tuesday! So for every other Sunday, I have the honour of baking a sweet treat for the cafe in my church which is great because not only am I contributing to the church itself by doing my little part, but this opportunity allows me to explore and experiment with new recipes.

My first experience of indulging on a courgette cake was back in Uni when my housemate baked a lovely batch that was also GF if I remember correctly. Similarly to carrot cake, I didn't exactly warm to the idea of a courgette cake at first but the bursts of the zesty lime truly ties this whole thing together so wonderfully. 

I pretty much committed to this recipe from All Recipes but I have slightly altered it, so keep reading if you want to follow mine instead. Wink wink!




To make the cake, you will need:
  • 3 free range eggs
  • 125ml vegetable oil
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 225g self-raising flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 250g finely grated courgette (I used about two)


1) Preheat the oven to 180C/ 160 C Fan/ Gas 4. Grease and line two sandwich tins and out to one side.

2) Beat together the oil, eggs and caster in a large bowl until you have a creamy consistency. 

3) Sift in the flour, bicarbonate soda and baking powder. Keep beating the ingredients together to maintain that consistency.


4) Stir in the grated courgettes.
5) Divide the mixture into the sandwich tins.

6) Pop them in the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Use a toothpick or skewer to check.

7) Remove cakes from the oven and leave to cool whilst you prepare the lime icing.

For the icing you will need:

  • 400g cream cheese
  • 200g icing sugar (add more if desired)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 4 tablespoons lime zest

8) To make the icing, simply beat the cream cheese in a large bowl and carefully sift in the icing sugar followed by the lime juice and half of the lime zest.

9) Use a knife to even out the cakes if necessary and start spreading the icing to sandwich the cakes together with a spatula. 

10) Sprinkle the remainder of the lime zest on the top layer and then you're good to go!



1 comment:

  1. The post is fantastic! I am now following you on Twitter @irenekthayer

    theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete